Honda VFR Club  

Go Back   Honda VFR Club > Technical Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 18-01-2009, 10:18

Sandy Bikes or Delkevic Exhausts

I am looking to buy new down pipes for my VFR800 fix, has anyone got any comments on Sandy Bikes or Delkevic exhausts ,on ease of fitting, quality etc.
Old 18-01-2009, 10:37

Bought a set of cans from Sandy Bikes for the Blackbird. They deal with the cheaper end of the market such as Viper. Delivery was on time but the link pipes wouldn't fit into the can. Common problem with Viper's I believe.

I wouldn't Sandy Bikes

Last edited by Glenman; 18-01-2009 at 21:39.
Old 18-01-2009, 16:57
Sponsor

i have put set delkavich on my vfr seem pretty good, fits well .about 330 pounds delivered i think.
Old 18-01-2009, 17:13
Super Sponsor

i ordered a set of cbr600 downpipes from sandy bikes and when they came they had a hole in them, when i rang to sort it out they told me that delkevic make them and id need to contact them which i did, got past from pillar to post, eventually after threating them, delkevic agreed that it was a manurfacturing fault and replaced them with another set which were slightly misaligned on the head resulting in blowing, replaced the gaskets twice before i took them off and got a ruler across them and found the 3rd pipe was about 6mm out of alighnment, i rang them back up and played fuck with them and next day i had another set, fitted perfect, i wasnt happy with the pipes as whenever they had to go round a bent it narrowed from say 35mm to 30mm and was restricting the bike, spent over 300 trying to get the bike tuned with these pipes, the bike was making 6bhp less with there pipes than standard and in the end i sold them on ebay and picked up a set of micron pipes, fitted first go and the bike rode perfect, bhp was increased aswell, thats just my experience with them, but im sure there have been alot of happy people on here who have used them and had no problems
Old 18-01-2009, 21:34

There was a seller on ebay called mad4bikes doing Delkevic system including the rear header pipes for £199 all in. Also does a full gasket kit for under £20.

I bought them for my fix and they fitted absolutely mm perfect, only concerns I have is that some of the internal welds on the header ends were a little big an messy to the point that they looked like they might be restrictive, but I filed them down so no problem.

Also I found the collars very soft to the point that they were bending so had to torque the nuts less than I should have as the studs were being to bend outwards as the collars bent. Although this could of been my cheapo torque wrench.

But overall they're I'm very pleased for the price.
Old 19-01-2009, 15:06

the collector box went on my 750 and the downpipes were almost as bad, looked around and found sandy bike spares on ebay, they were selling the 4 stainless steel downpipes, gaskets and collector box delivered for £198. asked seller some prudent questions to which he gave satisfactory answers. basically i bought it, fitted it and all is good so i can only recommend sandy bikes from my 1 experience.
Old 19-01-2009, 19:24

Thanks

Thanks for the replies gents,much appreciated, any more info would be welcome.
Old 19-01-2009, 21:35

I bought pipes for my 800Fi from Sandy and was very impressed; very fast dispatch, no obvious blemishes/holes/issues on the pipes.

They required a fraction of pushing to get them fitted, but only human strength required..

Haven't taken the bike out for a spin as yet - its having a few other things sorted at the mo too, but all seems good so far (other than honda's melt-like-cheese OEM studs - which when badly fitted by a numpty muppet [ie me] will shear off like an australian sheep farmer, grrrr).

go for it, if you have any trouble your purchase is covered by ebay/paypal and your credit card, plus I'm sure that Sandy are quite contactable if needs be.
Old 25-01-2009, 23:51

Thumbs up

Just fitted pipes from Sandy Bike Parts, fitted perfect ,plenty of clearence underneath engine, S/S welds, polished, all the gaskets . 199 inc Delivery.
Old 27-01-2009, 19:18
Man from the Ministry

I bought one of the very first sets of downpipes from DK when they first were released.

They were a doddle to fit and fitted first time with no problems at all. The quality for a first off set is excellent and they've been fantastic from day one!! well worth the money I spent on them and DK were brilliant with the shipping and some questions I had during purchase.

8000 or so miles later and they still look good!!

Nic
Old 27-01-2009, 19:36

I bet Motad are not happy now because the prices are really coming down for replacement exhaust systems for the vfr's
Old 25-02-2009, 09:15
Super Sponsor

Sandy Bikes or Delkevic Exhausts

Of course we at Motad are in business and we would like to sell our exhausts.

The chinese/malaysian exhausts are cheap at this time (exchange rates will change this)

As (I believe) Motad is the only Uk manufacturer left- you need to take a view on the value of UK production , Uk support and perhaps most importantly the value of having a dedicated UK producer making you guys replacement exhausts for your 2010 VFR when it rusts in 5 years time.

The forum is (correctly) not a place to sell- but Motad is here to give you technical support and advice- even on the far eastern/non motad exhausts

Ian McDonald
Old 25-02-2009, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by motad_uk View Post
Motad is here to give you technical support and advice- even on the far eastern/non motad exhausts
Ian McDonald
Pleasant to hear that Ian - a refreshing change from many companies attitudes, thanks for the comments
Old 25-02-2009, 13:53

Ian thanks for taking the time to post on the forum and in my opinion and others the products Motad offer are excellent in quality.

The problem I personally have is my bike is now coming up 11 years old and probably has a value of about twice the cost of a Motad exhaust system. Money is tight and therefore from a personal economic view it makes sense to purchase a Sandys/Delevic system given the value of the bike and the fact that a motad system would cost twice as much.

Clearly if the bike is worth 3k-4k residual value then its a different situation.

Whilst you will know what margin you are making on the systems (and thats none of our business) have you considered altering your business model to removing the retail margin and selling at least systems for older bikes direct to the public either by web or Ebay?. This would at least make your systems more attractive and competitive on price

Anway thanks once again for coming onto the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by motad_uk View Post
Of course we at Motad are in business and we would like to sell our exhausts.

The chinese/malaysian exhausts are cheap at this time (exchange rates will change this)

As (I believe) Motad is the only Uk manufacturer left- you need to take a view on the value of UK production , Uk support and perhaps most importantly the value of having a dedicated UK producer making you guys replacement exhausts for your 2010 VFR when it rusts in 5 years time.

The forum is (correctly) not a place to sell- but Motad is here to give you technical support and advice- even on the far eastern/non motad exhausts

Ian McDonald
Old 25-02-2009, 14:44
Super Sponsor

I realise that many of you "forum" guys are experienced mechanics.

We cannot forget the less experienced people ( a much much larger proportion of the market than 20 years ago) who need the product fitted- and however easy a system is to fit for an experienced and able mechanic, then lets not forget the damage and safety issues of a system being fitted incorrectly by a newbie to spanners. And this is taking into account how much effort we put in to make the fitting as easy as possible.

We think that our Dealers are a vital part of our product range and cutting them out would be a very bad move.

The internet and ebay are both great things- but I think that we all need to consider that every sale that goes through ebay reduces the chance of your dealer being there next year to sort that complicated job or advice that you cant sort out yourself- you never know- you might even want to buy a bike from them in the future