Honda VFR Club  

Go Back   Honda VFR Club > Technical Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 11-01-2008, 18:02
Sponsor

Vtec spark plug replacement

Bit of a mis-fire on my 52 plate 32000 mile VFR - decided new plugs are in order. 70 mind you !!!!!!

Then - how to get into fit them??? Only recently got into doing more of the servicing myself and all looks a bit scary.

Any hints on how to get at both sets of plugs and what has to come off/go back on............. Am I taking on too much too soon??

Cheers, A
Old 11-01-2008, 18:15
Banned Users

32,000 is a major point for a VTEC for servicing. IIRC it is the scheduled time to change the plugs and the valve clearances should also be checked / adjusted. If you don't feel confident with your DIY skills I would be booking it into a dealers.......
Old 11-01-2008, 19:56
Sponsor

you're right - but current circs (broke) mean I've done all the vital bits with an experienced mate (with valve clearances on hold for as short a time as poss....) - just didn't have time to do the spark plugs. Hoping to have a go at these without bothering him again............ Time will tell how good an idea anyone thinks that is! A
Old 12-01-2008, 01:05
Got my full licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancing age
Bit of a mis-fire on my 52 plate 32000 mile VFR - decided new plugs are in order. 70 mind you !!!!!!

Then - how to get into fit them??? Only recently got into doing more of the servicing myself and all looks a bit scary.

Any hints on how to get at both sets of plugs and what has to come off/go back on............. Am I taking on too much too soon??

Cheers, A

I did all 4 plugs on my 06 without loosening or removing any fairing. , I replaced mine at 27 and they were in mint condition.

Hardest part is removing the direct coil connectors without breaking them, once ya figuere out how they release ,the connection is tight, take a flat blad and gently twist in the seam of seperation while squeezing the release.
Old 14-01-2008, 10:49
Sponsor

Thanks Spud - been away a couple of days.

So do you get to the front set from the front under the oil cooler? and the back set?? I will use your techinique for easing off the ignition.

New air cleaner has made a real difference, but still the odd mis-fire so will need to get on with the plugs soon.

Cheers, A
Old 14-01-2008, 22:57

Quote:
you're right - but current circs (broke) mean I've done all the vital bits with an experienced mate (with valve clearances on hold for as short a time as poss....) - just didn't have time to do the spark plugs. Hoping to have a go at these without bothering him again............ Time will tell how good an idea anyone thinks that is! A

Dont put the valve clearance check of too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ibbotson
A few weeks ago, my VTEC engine went bang in a fairly spectacular way as I was making my way home one evening.

There had been some warning in the couple of days prior...the engine had developed a misfire when cold and a flatspot at around 6krpm, well known to some VTEC riders but never experienced by me.

When the 'problem' manifested itself one cold November evening, my bike suddenly started to sound like a load of bolts being mixed in a coffee grinder inside a tin shed.

It turns out that the problem is a thrown valve in one of the rear cylinders. I attach some pictures of what that can do to a cylinder/head in 20 seconds of operation while I pulled into the side of the road.

The engine is a write-off.

The bike was (is) an early 2002 model with 72k miles on the clock. I have used it as it is meant to be used, over the full rev range, enthusiastically but without ever really caning it on tracks etc.

Today I ordered an 8000 mile old 2003 VTEC engine from a breakers in Cheshire. 350 quid delivered...which I think is not bad and probably demonstrates that VFR motors are much less likely to go bang than CBR600 or 'Blade engines.

I wonder what the old bitch will be like after a heart transplant....

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/foru...ghlight=demise
Old 14-01-2008, 23:23
Got my full licence

Quote:
Thanks Spud - been away a couple of days.

So do you get to the front set from the front under the oil cooler? and the back set?? I will use your techinique for easing off the ignition.

New air cleaner has made a real difference, but still the odd mis-fire so will need to get on with the plugs soon.

Cheers, A
yeh I just turned the front wheel, you can access the front plugs. Heres a tip, blow out the front plugs with compressed air before you attempt to remove them, then unscrew about half way and blow out again. This will reduce the likelyhood of dirt dropping into the cylinder. The rear is much cleaner dirt wise than the front . the rears I just removed the seat and raised the tank.

Ya do need a magnet probe capable of grabbing the plug, they are really really deep in there., I think I had to use a 6 ich plus 3inch extension.

also after you torque the plug and really I reccommend doing it by hand feel not a torque wrench. once torqued loosen them again and retorque.

What happens with a new plug on the first torque the washer really doesnt fully compress, so the plug can come loose. Breakin it free and retorquing again will ensure thats not an issue.

Last edited by spud786; 14-01-2008 at 23:33.
Old 15-01-2008, 09:48
Sponsor

Thanks for all the help (especially the gem from you Paulfizz.......!!). Clean, re-torque and magnet hints are exactly what I needed.

Will attack the job this weekend and scrape the readies for the valve clearances asap.....

A.