Honda VFR Club  

Go Back   Honda VFR Club > General Spouting
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 17-11-2013, 16:02

A 1970's MC racing documentary of some acclaim -it would seem.

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a-SOXVVdIZ4" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Quoted from the Youtube write-up 'about';
"Documentary film originally made for the BBC by award winning filmmaker, Paul Watson, following two motorcycle racers competing at the 1973 Isle of Man TT. One rider is the professional works rider, Peter Williams, and the other is amateur, Graham Bentman.

Paul Watson is one of the great observational documentarians and who has been attributed with being the 'father of reality TV'. This is one of earliest films. I am sorry the quality is not that great but it the only copy in existence... as far as I know.

Peter Williams is my father. This copy is made from a video believed to have been from Dave Croxford, Peter's team mate, who I think is wonderful in this film.

I had a very pleasant lunch with Paul Watson a few years back and he hadn't seen this since it was broadcast. I was glad to be able to get him a copy.

I hope you enjoy it. It's the best documentary about motorcycle racing that I have seen."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide For This Useful Post:
ace (17-11-2013), k5 dave (17-11-2013), Rizarc (19-11-2013), saintrommel (17-11-2013)
Old 17-11-2013, 19:29
Super Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post

From the write-up 'about';
Documentary film originally made for the BBC by award winning filmmaker, Paul Watson, following two motorcycle racers competing at the 1973 Isle of Man TT. One rider is the professional works rider, Peter Williams, and the other is amateur, Graham Bentman.

Paul Watson is one of the great observational documentarians and who has been attributed with being the 'father of reality TV'. This is one of earliest films. I am sorry the quality is not that great but it the only copy in existence... as far as I know.

Peter Williams is my father. This copy is made from a video believed to have been from Dave Croxford, Peter's team mate, who I think is wonderful in this film.

I had a very pleasant lunch with Paul Watson a few years back and he hadn't seen this since it was broadcast. I was glad to be able to get him a copy.

I hope you enjoy it. It's the best documentary about motorcycle racing that I have seen.
Funnily enough I'm just reading Designed to Race by Peter Williams. He was a very good fast rider in the late 60s and early 70s although perhaps never reaching his potential. The book casts light on why although it was a time when the works teams had pulled out too and good rides were rare.

Is PW really your old man? I saw the video of the 73 TT with him and Dave Croxford in and perhaps you make an appearance as a little tot from what I remember? Since getting into Classic bikes I've bumped into many people who were riders in that era, it was a great time for watching bike racing in the UK and for me modern racing is a shallow spectacle in comparison
Old 17-11-2013, 20:03

Sorry for any confusion Martin, PW is not my OM.
He is the uploaders OM.

Underneath the video pane on the 'tube is a write-up titled 'about'
I just made a copy and paste from there as I thought it was both interesting and informative.
This is also the reason I embeded. It allows people to see what they're getting rather than following a blind link.

I've changed the color of the quote to try to make it clearer.

I do think though, there is a Peter Williams somewhere on the forum.
Old 17-11-2013, 20:48
Super Sponsor

No problem, I should have read closer.
The Following User Says Thank You to masonmart For This Useful Post:
Rawhide (17-11-2013)
Old 17-11-2013, 20:54
Founder Member

Thank you nice hour spent
Rawhide (17-11-2013)
Old 17-11-2013, 21:10
saintrommel

I am also reading P Williams book again, 107 mph lap on a glorified Norton Commando in a trick chassis absolutely outstanding.
Like SMB Hailwood says "on his day there was no one better and I mean no one".
Chatted to PW at Mallory ,had lots of time for us a proper gentleman and a shame that a super talented rider and development engineer was let down by piss poor near sighted management and lack of development capital.
Frank Perris insisted they dump the mono chassis in favour of a backward step tubular chassis and that was partly responsible for PWs career ending crash at Oulton such a damn shame on many levels

Last edited by saintrommel; 17-11-2013 at 21:15.
The Following User Says Thank You to saintrommel For This Useful Post:
Rawhide (17-11-2013)
Old 17-11-2013, 21:44

Well I'm so old I remember both seeing the documentary when it was first transmitted and watched the race from Parliament Square (with Mick Grant on the second works Norton). Afterwards I seem to remember seeing PW in a rather inebriated condition in the paddock. At the prizegiving the cheering nearly took the roof off the Villa Marina! Happy days............... PW was (and I'm sure still is) an absolute gent. Pity more high profile works rides never came his way. On another note his sister (Andrea Coleman) is founder of Riders for Health and won Woman of The Year award a while back. And not forgetting father Jack who developed, among other things, the AJS 7R. Talented family or what?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canis Insanus For This Useful Post:
Rawhide (17-11-2013), saintrommel (17-11-2013)