Honda VFR Club  

Go Back   Honda VFR Club > Technical Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 30-12-2011, 11:55
Sponsor

Tapping noise from cam chain tensioner area

Hi all

Searching the forum I can see there are plenty of strange noises from VFRs but I can't find any that seem to match what my VTEC is doing.

All the time she's running, there's a tapping sound from around the front tensioner. I've tried balancing the starter valves, I've also had the end cap off the tensioner and started the engine for a couple of seconds so a bit of oil flows through it. Then I wound the tensioner in and let it spring back out a couple of times to make sure it was making proper contact with the chain guide.

Anyway that hasn't solved it. The noise is quite loud - slightly louder than my stock exhaust. It speeds up with the engine when revved and seems to disappear over about 2000rpm. Putting your fingers on the engine casing on the rhs you can feel something tapping in there.

So I'm wondering, do I need a new tensioner? I know Honda don't have a great track record here and I don't want the chain slack enough to scrape bits off the casing or worse, jump a tooth.

On the other hand, is it something else?

I'm hoping one of you has some experience of this

Merry Chrimbo Limbo

Rob
Old 30-12-2011, 12:06
Sponsor

Sounds very cct to me - especially if it goes at higher revs. Only way seems to me to replace and see what happens. Front one seems more prone for some reason (angle/oil supply??), but easy enough job.

I'd think if its knackered the wind off/wind it back on will still have the problem of insufficient tension? Hope you cure it. AA
Old 30-12-2011, 12:16
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancing age View Post
I'd think if its knackered the wind off/wind it back on will still have the problem of insufficient tension? Hope you cure it. AA
Yep I thought that. I tried winding out manually but that only cured it for about a minute. You can imagine my disappointment when the sound came back

It's not too difficult a job, I just wish I could find a tensioner for less than 90. My understanding of the problem's cause is roughly what you said - the tensioner is mounted upside down, so doesn't get a great oil supply.

Will keep you updated

Rob
Old 30-12-2011, 15:53

Quote:
Sounds very cct to me - especially if it goes at higher revs. Only way seems to me to replace and see what happens. Front one seems more prone for some reason (angle/oil supply??), but easy enough job.

+1
Paul

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old 31-12-2011, 00:13

Rob,
had to do my front one earlier this year couldnt get it for cheaper than 90, easy job and managed to do it without lifting the throttle body housing too, also kept the wind up ;ocking pin and on me bike key ring

regards Eddie
Old 16-01-2012, 14:02
Sponsor

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know I got another tensioner for £91.38, fitted it and problem solved. She sounds like a brand new bike.

As above, didn't need to lift throttle body, didn't even need to disconnect any coolant hoses as some others have done. Just popped airbox off.

In case you didn't know (I'm sure you did) it's not necessary to wind the old tensioner in before removal - just keep a finger on it until you've taken the bolts out. Such an easy job compared to how I thought it'd be!
Old 16-01-2012, 15:48
Sponsor

Fab news Rob - nice when a plan comes together......!! AA
Old 30-01-2012, 14:25
Sponsor

Bad news

The awful noise has come back, and it's nearly as bad as it was before. I don't know where to look next - any ideas? It seems as though either a) the new tensioner just masked an existing problem for a while, or b) something else is causing the tensioner to fail. Could it be a worn cam chain and/or sprockets? I'm a bit lost on this
Old 30-01-2012, 16:56
Sponsor

Darn it! errr you did wind the new one up once fitted? And you know there are two tensioners..... the other one might be as knackered after all? (sorry - sounds condescending, meant to be lighthearted start with the obvious.....!) AA
Old 30-01-2012, 18:48
Sponsor

Quote:
Darn it! errr you did wind the new one up once fitted? And you know there are two tensioners..... the other one might be as knackered after all? (sorry - sounds condescending, meant to be lighthearted start with the obvious.....!) AA
Haha yes, I certainly did wind it out although it had sprung into postion quite enthusiastically and didn't want to go out much further. I guess it's certainly possible the other one has now gone, although the noise went away completely for a couple of weeks and about 200 miles of riding. The bike's never had a valve clearance check so I think I'm gonna book it in for one as this is a little beyond my level of competence. It wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be the root of the issue
Old 31-01-2012, 04:10
Founder Member

Mine started rattling last summer got the pair changed at the same time as i was going to holland.
Got both done as i thought if one gone then the other may follow
Old 28-02-2012, 19:32

cct noise

Did mine about a year ago did both at the same time if youve already done the front the back is a piece o p read in a few places that its a good idea to do them at about 30 grand as we all know its about the only thing you can call mr honda for (cam chain woes) noise has stopped on mine I would spend the 90 quid first mate before valve check could cost alot more and may well need doing anyhow good luck & ride safe
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23

I above replace the other one !!!.
Old 03-03-2012, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancalledrob View Post
Bad news

The awful noise has come back, and it's nearly as bad as it was before. I don't know where to look next - any ideas? It seems as though either a) the new tensioner just masked an existing problem for a while, or b) something else is causing the tensioner to fail. Could it be a worn cam chain and/or sprockets? I'm a bit lost on this
i l like honda's and suzuki's for that matter but tounge in cheek the only real way to stop cct problems is to buy your self a good old vfr 800 pre vtec,and after youve clocked up shall we say 200k it still wont have a cam chain rattle
Old 24-04-2012, 17:32

Hello all,

My 33k VFR2004 started making a similar ticking noise about a month ago. I use the bike on a daily basis and it has been serviced by a main dealer from new ...

I took it to my local honda dealer the other day having suspected the offending CCTs .... the mechanic rang me the next morning but could not confirm the issue as the ticking noise only occurs when the engine is warming up (between 50 and 60 degrees) and returnes to the usual VFR smothness when warm ... very strage. ticking completely disappears when over 2000 revs as well ...

Any ideas ?

Cheers!