Honda VFR Club  

Go Back   Honda VFR Club > Technical Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 04-05-2011, 17:38

Scottoiler: how exactly does it work?

This may seem like a bone question but I'm still going to ask it. How does the Scottoiler work and NOT affect the bike if it's power source is the vacuum that balances the engine? I've had one from the day a began riding and am very happy with it. I don't doubt it's safety, ability or effectiveness. I just would like to understand more about how it works technically. I looked at the FAQs but couldn't find anything that explains what I have asked. I also realise that I probably need to understand why the vacuum is there firstly before the answer can make sense. So, could any technically minded individual help me further my knowledge?

Many thanks,

Regards - Paul

Sent by iPhone on Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2011, 17:54
Club Bard

The vacuum pipe on the Scottoiler is connected to the diaphragm on the RMV. Start the engine and the depression in the inlet causes atmospheric pressure to lift the diaphragm. This raises the needle in the metering unit and oil begins to flow through the delivery tube.
Old 04-05-2011, 18:00
Sponsor

The scottoiler's power source is gravity, the vacuum just switches the flow on and off.
Old 04-05-2011, 18:33

Wow, that was fast. Thanks guys. I can see I need to hone my question now. I understand how the Scottoiler works, both principally and physically. I am curious about why the bike isn't affected with the Scottoiler tapping into the vacuum. So, I guess I should have asked what the vacuum does and why it doesn't matter if the Scottoiler siphons off the pressure?

I appreciate that anyone with a knowledge of engines will know this ad basic principles but that someone isn't me.

Cheers

Regards - Paul

Old 04-05-2011, 18:40

hi jatterbox

the scottoiler's demands on vacume are so small it cannot cause a problem as far as i am aware.

polar
Old 04-05-2011, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatterbox View Post
Wow, that was fast. Thanks guys. I can see I need to hone my question now. I understand how the Scottoiler works, both principally and physically. I am curious about why the bike isn't affected with the Scottoiler tapping into the vacuum. So, I guess I should have asked what the vacuum does and why it doesn't matter if the Scottoiler siphons off the pressure?

I appreciate that anyone with a knowledge of engines will know this ad basic principles but that someone isn't me.

Cheers

Regards - Paul

Because it is a closed system, think of it as sucking on an empty plastic bottle, no matter how hard ou suck you cannot suck any air out of the atmosphere. The collapse of the bottle equates to the atmosphere opening the valve, the atmosphere cannot get past the valve.
Old 04-05-2011, 18:47

Thanks polar. So, could I ask why there are 4 very convenient vacuum pipes. I can understand 1 for each cylinder but then are the pipes to allow pressure testing of them? I don't know why they would be there otherwise, unless mr H just wanted to help with chain oiling devices of the future? (would enter shoulder shrug smiley but can't on this device).

Regards - Paul

Old 04-05-2011, 20:46
The skinny sassenach

Quote:
Thanks polar. So, could I ask why there are 4 very convenient vacuum pipes. I can understand 1 for each cylinder but then are the pipes to allow pressure testing of them?
Yes, to allow measurement of the vacuum in each inlet tract (between the closed throttle butterfly of the carburettor/throttle body and the cylinder) and give a measure of the reduction in pressure compared to the outside atmosphere.
Quote:
I don't know why they would be there otherwise, ...
Connecting each of the pipes to a gauge or, better IMHO, a Morgan Carbtune allows them to be balanced (by adjusting the amount of air admitted at idle) so each cylinder is giving the same amount of "suck" and thus a similar amount of power, particularly at low revs where you want the engine to feel smooth.
HTH

Last edited by steve27bha; 04-05-2011 at 20:52.
Old 04-05-2011, 22:02

Part of why the Scottoiler has no effect on the bike is that the volume of the system is very small, if it was large then it might have more effect- like the vacuum powered windscreen wipers on my first car- Ford Popular 100E.
Old 04-05-2011, 22:57

Thanks guys, starting to understand now.

And thanks for your tolerance. I know that to a mech, such a question is rudimentary but all I know of engines is what I learn on here and then apply to my bike.

I've been with this site since I learned to ride. Everything I've learnt has been with the support of the members here and I can tell you, I've learnt a lot, saved money and developed my confidence through Vfr club. I'd buy anyone of you a beer if I met (or do meet) you out and about.

Regards - Paul

Old 05-05-2011, 15:59

While I cannot verify this from any experience of my own, I was told by my garage that a scottoiler could interfere with the bike slightly when the reservoir of the scottoiler is empty. To what extent this is true I can't say, but I would agree that as the vacuum required for the oiler is negligible it shouldn't matter.
Old 05-05-2011, 16:30

Cheers Leogreek, I never even considered that. Not that i would let it run dry but it's a very good point. That's why I will always ask. Every day's a skool day!

Regards - Paul

Old 05-05-2011, 19:15
Born to be Born Again

No. As stated earlier the vacuum pipe goes to the diaphragm so nothing of any noticeable significance can flow through the pipe regardless of the oil level.

My VTEC A9 backfired at small throttle settings from new but disconnecting the PAIR valve fixed it completely.

Last edited by evengreyerbiker; 05-05-2011 at 19:41.
Old 05-05-2011, 19:31
saintrommel

Well that's the theory, unless you mount it out of the way (under the seat)

and in a heatwave in the middle of Germany the little darling dumps the lot

in 10 mins. Best to mount where there is good cool airflow for best results.