Honda VFR Club  

Go Back   Honda VFR Club > Technical Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 01-04-2011, 13:46

Spyball Alarm dilema

Spyball has now given up completely leaving me a bit stranded.
Previously, i could use the code to disarm the immobiliser but i no longer get the fast flash followed by the slow (counting) flash.
Clutching at straws now, I have now changed batteries in remotes but need the bridging cable to enable me to resync them. If anyone has a cable, i would pay for postage etc.. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Can i just rip the whole system out? I believe that you have to cut the loom somewhere to install the system but not sure where?!
Will be in UK from next Wednesday.
Typically, i am stuck in Italy, where the system was originally produced but cannot find anyone who can help me!!
Ciao....
Old 01-04-2011, 14:04

ciao - googled 'Spyball Alarm' and it comes up with several links to spyball and its problems and manual. Also had a thred tregarding removal of system. Not sure if you want to fix it or remove it but found this info:

spyball patriot alarm?.
I had a similar prob with mine the other day, to re-align the key fob
you press the raised button once-release then press again and
hold for 25 seconds voila re-aligned, if your still having probs
after that i have a number for a nice bloke called Kev who installs them
he will talk you through what to do.
P.S. have you changed the battery in the fob recently, they cause most
problems. Also if your really stuck you should have the overide code on a small credit card (6 digits).

also:
Spyball Alarm / Dismantling instructions
A friend of mine has a Fireblade (somewhere around 2004) and had a spyball alarm system in it. I took it out about half an hour ago. Because of the high number of people with problems with the spyball alarm I thought, why not post the dismantling instructions here. I have surely seen a lot of people requesting dismantling instructions.

He needed it out because it was defective. It did not sound the alarm or the blinkers, only kept the fuel injection from booting.

If the unit is not defective do know that the unit will start making a lot of noise when you take it out. If you are in a public place, make sure you have proof of ownership of the motorcycle with you. Questions can and if the right people are near will be asked.

Also, I did not find these instructions while searching the fora with the search options so I guess they are not yet here. Also, I do not think you can use these instructions to steal a motorcycle as you do need the key for HISS (for most honda's) and it will still sound the alarm for a while.
---

Step 1: Disconnect the motorcycle battery, you don't want to get hurt touching something you should not

Step 2: Take out the alarm itself (located under the buddy seat, at least there it is supposed to be).

Step 3: Cut the sleeves around the cables that waterproof them. DO NOT CUT THE CABLES THEMSELVES!!! YOU NEED THEM INTACT TO FIGURE OUT WHAT CABLE DOES WHAT

*** The cables are numbered at the point where they go inside the spyball. Make sure not to cut this number off when you cut a cable, cut them beyond this point really close to the spyball connector.

Step 4: Cut the following cables 6 + 7 + 8
One of these cables should be loose and can immediately be removed. The two others should be traced to where they originate from and there you will notice an original motorcycle cable has been cut. Put these cables back together.

Step 5: Cut the following cables 12 + 12 (same number appears twice)
Same as step 4, follow them and put the original honda wiring back together.

Step 6: Remove the other cables, the numbers mean the following:
1 (2x) Grounding
2 12 Volt cable connected to system (engine running indicator)
3 12 Volt cable connected to battery
4 Additional alarm cable to protect for example a suitcase, generally not connected
5 (2x) Goes to the blinkers
6/7/8 One of the blockers, removed in step 4 already
10 Exit to alarm led, this is the - and NOT the + / can be kept to put a small battery on, alarm look
11/13 Exit to programming cable, should be loose lying around somewhere
12 (2x)Additional motor blocker, removed in step 5

HINT
To make sure this instruction works for your system too, first when disconnecting the connector to the spyball "hotwire" the numbers 6/8 for magneto starters and 7/8 for non magneto starters. If one does not work try the other combination. At least the FI should work, but you cannot start yet. After hotwiring both the 12 cables the system should start. If this works, you can start cutting. If it does not work, your spyball is different then this one.

Also make sure to tape all connections so they cannot short the circuit. Otherwise the motorcycle will stop functioning after the first few speedbumps.

Hope this helps

Lee J

Last edited by lee j; 01-04-2011 at 14:09.
Old 01-04-2011, 22:43
Registered Users

As lee suggested just realign the fobs, you don't need a cable.

TBH I always get from spyball the bike dedicated wiring harness, so there is no cutting of the original wiring and any problem you can remove the alarm and its wires easily.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23

alarm advice

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.
Lee J, i would appreciate the number of your contact, the shop that did mine just said that i have had ten years of use and should really fit an up to date system. I will probably do this but only after i have exhausted all avenues.
I have changed both batteries and reckon i now need the jumper cable to re-allign the remotes. The other method does not work att. Thanks again to all.
I managed to print off a set of instructions and a wiring diagram so know the basics, the whole system just seems to be inhibited and will not allow me to input the code.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.
Lee J, i would appreciate the number of your contact, the shop that did mine just said that i have had ten years of use and should really fit an up to date system. I will probably do this but only after i have exhausted all avenues.
I have changed both batteries and reckon i now need the jumper cable to re-allign the remotes. The other method does not work att. Thanks again to all.
I managed to print off a set of instructions and a wiring diagram so know the basics, the whole system just seems to be inhibited and will not allow me to input the code.
The jumper cable should be to align a fob to the one you have, you changed batteries on both so....
I'm sure the procedure works as I did it last year, turn ignition key, press the button, release and then keep pressed for 25 or more seconds, can't remember if you get a beep when it's done.
Where are you stranded with the bike?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:24
Registered Users

Also, do you have the old model 8510 or newer 6527? the first is boxy the other is smaller with a rounded edge.