Honda VFR Club  

Go Back   Honda VFR Club > Technical Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 29-10-2009, 00:00

vfr800 cam chains

Hi,

I used to own a vfr750 which I replaced with a fireblade, I sold the blade about 12 months ago, and I am now thinking about buying again, My son uses a vtr, which unfortunatly dropped the front cam chain tensioner last week, and set me back 600 for the repairs.
My question is do the cct's cause problems on vfr800's, if they do I will be looking for a good 750 again.

kev
Old 29-10-2009, 00:09
Club Bard

1998 - 2001 VFR 800s don't have camchains. They have gear driven camshafts. Camchains arrived on the VFR with the introduction of the VTec in 2002. There have been some instances of camchain tensioner problems in VTecs but I don't recall hearing of any catastrophic failures.
Old 29-10-2009, 05:16
Super Sponsor

if its a honda and its got a camchain then you should expect it to rattle sometime in the near future - its a honda!, never heard of any major failures tho, quite a few people have reported camchain rattle which is usually solved by replacing the tensioner, buy a pre vtec and you wont have any worrys
Old 29-10-2009, 06:53

Thanks

that gives me a bit more scope on available bikes

kev
Old 29-10-2009, 08:52
Sponsor

even the vtec rattles like my old CB175 way before any damage - so plenty of time to change the little blighters. "They will be just as durable as the cam gears sir" - Honda salesman on question about the retrograde step to chains circa 2002...... Ho Hum AA
Old 12-11-2009, 14:27

just as a response to this thread i had the camchain tensioner, camchain, gaskets etc replaced yesterday on my 05 vtec...

386quid all in incl labour and vat
Old 12-11-2009, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD RAT View Post
just as a response to this thread i had the camchain tensioner, camchain, gaskets etc replaced yesterday on my 05 vtec...

386quid all in incl labour and vat
camchain? you should have had them both replaced shirley?
Old 12-11-2009, 22:18

no just the front cylinder as that's the one that usually rattles. its fine now though glad to say.

BUT if the other one goes, it'll be the same repair bill!
Old 13-11-2009, 09:42
Sponsor

Never heard of the chain suffering BR - was there a particular need to do more than just the tensioner, or were you just being v cautious.....? AA
Old 13-11-2009, 09:58

the cam chain tensioner design on the vfr800 vtec,blackbird and firestorm is all the same design,only the firestorm seems to suffer from any faliures though,the firestorm will give a warning lie a rattle in most cases but most either ignore it or dont hear it
Old 13-11-2009, 13:12

Quote:
no just the front cylinder as that's the one that usually rattles. its fine now though glad to say.

BUT if the other one goes, it'll be the same repair bill!
Why would the front one be prone to rattling any more than the rear? Presumably, you must have covered a high mileage to warrant a new chain and its a big job, much more than 386, unless they used a soft link replacement? Are you certain they actually replaced it? Maybe they just put a new tensioner in?

..mmm.puzzling!
Old 13-11-2009, 13:30
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairypins View Post
Why would the front one be prone to rattling any more than the rear? Presumably, you must have covered a high mileage to warrant a new chain and its a big job, much more than 386, unless they used a soft link replacement? Are you certain they actually replaced it? Maybe they just put a new tensioner in?

..mmm.puzzling!
Twas the front tensioner on mine too - I think its the angle it lies has poorer oil feed than the rear (which is angled so the oil has a tendency to lie in it at rest as well as under 'live' oil feed?). Replaced them both at about 40k. AA
Old 13-11-2009, 17:15

bike's just run in at a shade over 40thou miles so i wouldn't call it high mileage. perhaps the chain was fine, i will never know, but i don't mess about when it comes to the bike. i'd rather spend the money on a proper service than on cosmetic add ons such as race exhausts etc. its simply for peace of mind cos im on the bike all the time and i wanted it done before my advanced test.

talking of which, anyone passed the Blue Riband test? can they give me any background info?
Old 13-11-2009, 18:47
Sponsor

Quote:
bike's just run in at a shade over 40thou miles so i wouldn't call it high mileage. perhaps the chain was fine, i will never know, but i don't mess about when it comes to the bike. i'd rather spend the money on a proper service than on cosmetic add ons such as race exhausts etc. its simply for peace of mind cos im on the bike all the time and i wanted it done before my advanced test.

talking of which, anyone passed the Blue Riband test? can they give me any background info?
Fairynuff...

Blue Riband - wassat then?? (done IAM RoSPA and RoSPA Diploma - they were all fine!) AA
Old 13-11-2009, 23:55
Sponsor

Quote:

The Blue Riband test is the BMF's advanced riding course and it certainly makes you a damn site more observant. Its usually carried out over 2 sessions, each lasting approximately half a day but if you are going to take it I would recommend you have an assessment ride with the BMF first and let them give you pointers where you may need to improve. I did it in 1997 and you are re-assessed every 3 years. Cost when I took it was around 160 with re-assessmnt costing around 70. Having kicked the BMF into touch I now go out with the boys in blue on the Bikesafe course every 3 years to act as a refresher and its cheaper.