PDA

View Full Version : Main fuse continually blowing

bertieb
14-01-2006, 08:08
Hi there - new to this game but not to biking. Can anybody give advise on the following:
Riding home Friday night weekend about to start, yipee :) , bike just stops - try to bump start, no joy :( . Breakdown guy identifies main 30 amp fuse blown puts in another blows immediately, is this anything to do with faulty regulator / rectifier which I know to be a common fault on VFRs?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I can see big bill coming to try anf trace electrical fault, possible short somewhere??

Journeyman
14-01-2006, 09:24
Hi bertieb Welcome to the club, :) this wonít be the RR problem causing the fuse to blow but will probably be chafed wiring or harness problems. :( You donít say what year and model you have.:beer: Dave.

Odie
14-01-2006, 09:36
I concur. :)

You've got a short circuit. :( I'd say it's nothing to do with the R/R. The great bit of fun now is finding where. If it does it with the ignition off, then it's on a permanently live wire. If it's fine with the ignition off but fails when you turn the ignition on then it'll be on an ignition live circuit. As mention already, start looking for signs of wiring chaffing.

Patch
14-01-2006, 10:23
Front Brake Switch

Was it/had it been raining perchance?

If the front Brake lever has been moved to enable a more comfortable riding position it can cause a short at the brake light switch when it is wet, whilst this should only affect your light circuit for several on here (including me) it has blown the main fuse.

POSER
14-01-2006, 10:49
Front Brake Switch

Was it/had it been raining perchance?

If the front Brake lever has been moved to enable a more comfortable riding position it can cause a short at the brake light switch when it is wet, whilst this should only affect your light circuit for several on here (including me) it has blown the main fuse.

I concur, this happened to me when moving the brake handle round the bar a fraction causing one of the two connectors to bend a little and short out, I seem to remember a 10 amp blowing at the same time.

Odie
14-01-2006, 10:57
I concur, this happened to me when moving the brake handle round the bar a fraction causing one of the two connectors to bend a little and short out, I seem to remember a 10 amp blowing at the same time.That's assuming the ignition is turned on as the brake light circuit is an ignition live circuit. ;)
Before we all blame the brake light switch wiring, Bertieb says, "Breakdown guy identifies main 30 amp fuse blown puts in another blows immediately," unless he's missed out a bit about turning the ignition on it suggests it's a short on a permanently live circuit. Hopefully he'll be back to clarify that bit. :)

MULE
14-01-2006, 22:09
I have a loom if push comes to shove. May be easier than tracing the fault. (Thatís if it is in the loom!). :rolleyes:
You could always borrow one and slave it in to see. :D
Thanks, Mule.

ace
15-01-2006, 04:01
You've got a short circuit an knowing what bike may help :) i had a short in the Vtec rear numberplate wire.

Smiffy
15-01-2006, 08:18
i had a short in the Vtec rear numberplate wire.
I wondered why your brake light kept coming on, even at fairly straightforward corners
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

POSER
15-01-2006, 11:59
I wondered why your brake light kept coming on, even at fairly straightforward corners

:eek: Harsh mate, fecking harsh :t :t :t

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Levelrob
15-01-2006, 12:01
It worked well xcountry too;)

ace
15-01-2006, 13:28
I wondered why your brake light kept coming on, even at fairly straightforward corners Strange i generally let you set the pace so i don't have to wait at junctions. :rolleyes: worked cross country too Was going for the off road picture like most BMW GS owners have on there signatures :p was trying to go one better by riding it at the same time.Stange how the voice in the head said look up keep power on your go there. :dunno: You never think that things said to you in a pub will save the day later :)

Smiffy
15-01-2006, 13:31
Strange i generally let you set the pace so i don't have to wait at junctions.
Yeah
It's bloody cold isn't it?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bertieb
15-01-2006, 21:54
Thanks for all your responses I am overwhelmed :bow: having never used a forum site before, certainly given me food for thought. I will definitely be visiting this site more often! :D

The bike is a 1997 750.

Thought it might have been the 'lazy' connection that I use for an Optimate earthing, on the wheel wrench - thats a story for another day why it is in there?? - but next fuse blew as well with no ignition on. As identified it has got to be a 'live' problem.

Having now looked at a wiring diagram, although I think all you guys who gave advise have probably realised how mecahnically incompetent I am! next plan of action is to cross the hand of a mechanic I know some drinking vouchers to help me trace the short. Seems like I will be spending a few hours out in the garage this coming week.

The reason for the vagueness of my original posting was that I was hoping somebody was going to say 'I have had this exact same thing happen to me' - you live and learn. :beer:

Excalibur
15-01-2006, 23:05
I DID have a Rectumfryer blowing a fuse ........ If you havn't tried it already ... unplug the reg/rec and see what happens...

BjaneP
16-01-2006, 01:38
My VFR also blew the 30 Amp fuse due to faulty R/R. Disconnect the 5 pin connecter going to the R/R, located under your right rear fairing. if the fuse dont blow anymore you "just" have to buy a new R/R.
BjarneP

ace
16-01-2006, 01:55
the fuse dont blow anymore you "just" have to buy a new R/R. Which you would search this site as to where to get it from a clue NOT Honda :t

otto22
17-01-2006, 18:00
I've also had this problem previously on my 750ft - mine was down to the connector by the fuse the goes into the starter solenoid - it ended up melting part of the connector plastic.

Simple to check as it's next to the 30amp fuse that keeps blowing.

good luck in finding the problem.

bertieb
17-01-2006, 21:22
Which you would search this site as to where to get it from a clue NOT Honda :t

Got mate who has a lot more technical competence than me. All things point to the Regulator / Rectifier.
I assume you mean David Silver Spares?! :rolleyes:

ace
17-01-2006, 23:46
mean David Silver Spares Yes I've also had this problem previously on my 750ft - mine was down to the connector by the fuse the goes into the starter solenoid - it ended up melting part of the connector plastic. Have read several posts on 750s having this problem