BMW RS Owners Club  

Go Back   BMW RS Owners Club > Technical Questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Sponsor the Club   Shop        Oracle Central        BikersOracleTours.com  

Old 14-10-2012, 09:46 AM
RS Fahrer

Default Heated grip failure

The left hand heated grip has failed, broken wire next to the grip itself. There does not seem enough slack/wire to repair. Is it easy to replace or would a set of aftermarket ones be a good fix. Would rather keep bike original.
Old 14-10-2012, 10:12 AM
RS Meister

Not sure most aftermarket ones will fit - they're usually designed for standard Japanese bars and I have a feeling BMWs are ( quelle surprise!) different.
I've fitted snowmobile grip heaters to mine (http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/product.php/116/).
These are basically a heating element printed on a self-adhesive sheet and wrapped/stuck round the bars before refitting the original rubber grips. They do work well, but I think the genuine ones are probably better.
Old 14-10-2012, 05:23 PM
RS Meister

I have tried unsuccessfully to repair two r/h ones. It is possible to "dig out" sufficient wire from the grip to solder a connection to the wires. Having twice tried this, I have concluded that such a repair to a r/h grip would not last long because of the constant twisting, but it might work for a l/h one. Failing that, I would bite the bullet and buy a new l/h grip. At least you can buy the bits separately.

I have fitted Oxford heated grips to my H*nda. They have four heat settings, the two hottest of which are much hotter than the BMW ones on my RS (or those on the 850GS I used to have). Even so, I would still either fix yours or fit a replacement BMW one, not least because they are much neater having internal wiring (and probably cheaper too, since you only need one). Maybe Motorworks can supply a good used one?
Old 15-10-2012, 03:37 AM
RS Meister

Damn, 2 weeks too late. There were a set of heated grips on eBay stateside recently.
Old 30-12-2012, 12:24 PM
RS Fahrer

Got one from Motorworks, fit it next year..
Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 PM
RS Fahrer

How time flies since last year,thats the new grip fitted, pretty easy job. Should be good along with the Barkbusters.Never really used the heated grips before as one was inop.
Old 16-03-2013, 03:38 PM
RS Fan

Default Heated grips - not very warm

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1993 R1100RS. I have recently replaced the battery on the bike with a Motobatt 22AH battery. This has helped getting the ABS check to kick-in ok when starting the bike and moving off which was an annoyance.

I was hoping the heated grips would improve also as part of the battery replacement. I am suspecting the heating elements possibly are sufferring from age and may need replaced as they don't seem to get very warm despite the new battery.

I am wondering if anyone can advise if they have replaced the original internally wired heated hand grips before on a R1100RS and if they could outline what's involved in doing the job.

Alternatively, if anyone has had similar problems with the heated elements not getting very warm advise can they offer advise what areas to perhaps check to try improve the heating potential for the grips.

Many thanks in advanced.
Old 18-03-2013, 12:20 PM
RS Meister

I have fitted BMW grips from scratch on an 850GS I used to own and also replaced the r/h grip (twice) on my RS. Firstly, I have to say that you are not alone in finding that the BMW grips are not great on the RS, even on the higher setting. (nor were mine much good on the GS either). Mine on the RS were fitted by the supplying dealer when I bought it used; they have never been anywhere near as warm as those on the K75S or K100RS I used to own and certainly are nowhere near as hot as the Oxford grips I fitted to my H*nda. My own theory is that it is something to do with the heat conductivity of the handlebars. They are alloy on the RS but steel on the K bikes.

As your bike already has the BMW grips fitted replacement it will already have the correct bar-end inserts and replacement should be straightforward, if a little fiddly. New grips will come with the wires attached and basically it is just a case of routing the new wiring through the bars in the same way as the existing ones and plugging them in. It is a bit of a faff trying to disconnect the wiring at the connector under the l/h top fairing. You will also need to remove the twistgrip. Another point is to be sure that you tap the small pin into the handlebar on the twistgrip side. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but the pin prevents the wires twisting unduly as the throttle is opened and closed. The supplying BMW dealer obviously didn't know this either as the r/h grip failed at a low mileage and because the pin hadn't been tapped in by them I didn't realise it had to be done, so my replacement failed again in relatively short order.

I'm not sure that fitting new BMW grips is likely to produce the gain in performance you desire. I have never seem a conclusive thread on this or any other oilhead forum explaining why a sizeable number of owners are disappointed with the performance of their heated grips. Reference has been made to the resistance in old wiring, but I fitted grips to my 850GS when it was brand new. Other owners reckon there grips work fine, at least on the higher of the two settings.

Hope this helps.
Old 18-03-2013, 08:00 PM
RS Fan

Default Heated grips - not very warm

Many thanks trullion. There doesn't seem to be much benefit for me to consider replacing with a new set of standard BMW grips judging by your experiences. I'll just need to consider thicker warmer gloves. Thank you for giving me the excuse to consider buying more bike gear ( as if I needed any ! )

Much appreciated.