BMW K Series Owners Club  

Go Back   BMW K Series Owners Club > K1200S Topics
Sponsor the Club Chat   Shop        Oracle Central        Bikers Map        Forums        Tours  

Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Growing old, and fast

Default K1200S brake failure

Hi folks, I hope you don't mind my stepping on to your sacred turf (I'm from the VFR site you see), but a mate of mine recently bought a beautiful blue K1200S. (34,000 miles, on an 05 plate) which has shown a tendancy to suddenly display a red brake fail warning light and then to switch his front brakes off... Completely.

After the second incident he took it to Clarkes in Birmingham who traced it to a sticking rear brake pedal. It transpires that the bike, although in pristine condition, had spent a lot of its time out in the rain. The consequence of which was to cause rust on the brake pedal spindle. Something that can easily be remedied.

What's more worrying though is the fact that the system seems to default to 'brake fail' mode, when it sees a problem.

Surely that can't be correct can it?

I know it's scared the bejazus out of my mate... twice. And could have caused a serious accident...

So my question is this:
Has this 'brake fail default' been identified as a problem and, if so, do you know if there has there been any sort of recall on that particular model, for this problem?

Your help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
CG (Dave)

Last edited by clumsy_geezer; 08-05-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Registered Users

Default brake failiure

i rode for 2,000 miles with the red warning light on, but they never stopped working , i was touring europe, it turned out to be a damaged ABS sensor on the front brake, it got damaged when the front wheel was removed for a new tyre.Apparantly you do not touch the ABS side of the front wheel when you remove it. You only un-do from the right side of the bike (right side as you are sat on the bike) so i can not blame that fail on the bike it was caused by human error
Old 09-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Registered Users

I have had mine switch from servo assisted or whatever it is called to residual while I was riding along. Residual braking is worse than useless especial when you suddenly have that coming into operation. In my case it was a sensor that caused the issue.

Cheers
Les
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
MTS Sports Man

I'm sure that's one of the reasons why they ditched the servo (my 2007 model doesn't have servo assist).
But they're still brilliant.

Great idea just not reliable.

FB
Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Come on you Hatters

Hi Guys,hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread. I'm also from another (blackbird) site ,but as it seems Honda aren't going to replace the Bird after all It looks like the K12 is my next best choice when I change.
I have heard of many failings of the servo brakes on modern BMW's, some from club members, so I'm pretty sure they are a real problem, and it's probably enough to stop me buying one, unless it can be remnoved and converted back to a std set up. Do any of you guys know if this is possible, or if it's been done? Is there a kit available?
Have tried a couple of K12S's, and really like the whole bike otherwise, but my budget would mean it would have to be an early 05/6 model. Can't afford a later one, or the 13.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdumptruck View Post
I have heard of many failings of the servo brakes on modern BMW's, some from club members, so I'm pretty sure they are a real problem,.
20,000 miles on mine.... No issues with brakes whatsoever........

Dont get drawn in... You'll probably find everty single occurence of this failure quoted on the internet... You wont find the other thousands of bikes that have no issues....
Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Come on you Hatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasney View Post
20,000 miles on mine.... No issues with brakes whatsoever........

Dont get drawn in... You'll probably find everty single occurence of this failure quoted on the internet... You wont find the other thousands of bikes that have no issues....
As I'd said, I have friends in my local club that have experienced REAL failures, not supposed forum fueled hearsay.

Two K12RS's, one cooked its brakes till they were so hot they glowed Red, and needed virtually a whole new front end, including the wheel!! The other had repeated warning light coming on telling rider to stop. Both fixed under warranty. Another was a brand new R11S which just failed completley, bend coming, oh sh*t no brakes. You try it see how you like it!! After two incidents this guy handed the bike back and set his lawyers to get his money back.

I have ridden a K12s, R1150R and R12RT with these brakes, and they are very good, but I've also ridden stacks of other bikes that have brakes that work just as well without any of the unneccasary complication, something I believe BMW have just about admitted now.

As much as I like the K12S, the only way I would consider buying one, or at least owning one without full warranty, would be if I can remove the system and go to standard brakes.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Registered Users

they took the servo`s off the k12 from 06 or 07 onwards, mine is an 05 ,never had brake trouble, i too am a blackbird convert, it is true that the earlier bikes had a lot of issues including my own,its a differant carry on with a beemer to the jap stuff, make sure you buy a warranty and keep up to the dealer service scheduale, even if you are a competant home mechanic, they seem to iron out teething problems as they go, i did 72,000 miles on my b/bird and it were sweet as a nut when i sold it, i have had my fair share of problems with the beemer, but all sorted out on the warranty, no quibbles, it has now done 20,000 with out any further hiccups or problems, it seems to get better with age, and i can state with hand on heart reliabilty issues aside, it is a far far better bike than the blackbird, go for it, you wont be dissapointed
Old 29-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered Users

My understanding was that the servos came off for weight and cost savings.
My K12 clocked 33,000 miles last week without missing a beat.
I regularly change from the K12 to my Benelli TnT 1130 and have no issues with the different "feel" between the servo and non servo bikes.
Don't listen to the detractors, if there was any reason to replace my K12 , I'd buy another K12 or K13 perhaps......apart from the s**t liferaft panniers :-)
Old 14-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Come on you Hatters

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdumptruck View Post
Hi Guys,hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread. I'm also from another (blackbird) site ,but as it seems Honda aren't going to replace the Bird after all It looks like the K12 is my next best choice when I change.
I have heard of many failings of the servo brakes on modern BMW's, some from club members, so I'm pretty sure they are a real problem, and it's probably enough to stop me buying one, unless it can be remnoved and converted back to a std set up. Do any of you guys know if this is possible, or if it's been done? Is there a kit available?
Have tried a couple of K12S's, and really like the whole bike otherwise, but my budget would mean it would have to be an early 05/6 model. Can't afford a later one, or the 13.
Bit of update.

I had reason to visit Rainbow BMW in Rotheram at the weekend. Didn't manage to do what I wanted but I did have an interesting chat with one of the sales guys. Now two things that are of interest.
1. He said that Non ABS models don't have the servo system! True?
2. And that he knows of several owners that have just removed the servo set up and replaced it with standard hoses connecting master cylinder to calipers. Obviously looses ABS, but that doesn't bother me too much, had it twice and never needed it, I use a better system, was supplied with them at birth for the use of

BMW Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.