BMW K Series Owners Club  

Go Back   BMW K Series Owners Club > K1200S Topics
Sponsor the Club Chat   Shop        Oracle Central        Bikers Map        Forums        Tours  

Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL
Same problem as mine FB...

I looked at adjusting (by elongating the fixing holes into slots to allow adjustment), but there isn't enough "spare" material on the hugger to be able to do this.

I guess you could try and extend it with a piece of rubber or something, but I didn't bother as I thought it would look pretty crap.

I rode mine through some pretty bad weather in France on our last tour, and my shock and linkage was no more dirty than the bikes which had a hugger fitted.
I extended mine with a little rubber flap and you are right SPL, it looks pretty crap.... IF you get on your knees and squint to look at it. I think it helps. Beats me why it was designed so poorly in the first place but at least I didn't pay for mine.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Human Skittle

I did - and then lost money selling it on via fleabay

Steve

Current:
2007 R1200GS

Gone:
CB125/CB125RS/MTX125/GPz305/GPz750/DT175/GPz1100/ZX10/CX500/RF900/VFR800FI
/VFR800V-TEC/Speed Triple 1050/RSV Factory/Fazer 1000/KTM950SM/K1200S
Old 03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
MTS Sports Man

Angry I couldn't stand it any more

After a while it just started to grate on my nerves.
My swing arm copped a couple of stone chips on the top surface no doubt caused by the stones bouncing out of the hugger.

So I made an extension. Not brilliant I know but hopefully it will do it's job.

One benefit of the extension being tied to the linkage is it has made it less flexable, so it shouldn't vibrate against the torque arm so much.
Even so, I cut and fixed a small piece of an old rubber ronnie just in case.

A hugger that damages paint work, doesn't protect the bearings in the rising rate linkage or the shock is just pants in my book.

I'll let you know if it survives some serious hooning.

FB

FYI constructed from 3mm expanded PVC and secured to hugger with lots of clear silicon sealant. Secured to linkage with electrical tie.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Users

I actually returned mine back for a full refund (not fit for purpose). I bought the cheaper Skidmarx hugger, it comes with some scaffold that I painted black - and depite my inital reservation it actually looks OK when fitted. Better protection, doesn't rattle and protects the spring. It still leaves a little pile of crud on the swing arm - but I'd planned to do the same mud flap mod.
Old 25-03-2008, 12:59 PM
MTS Sports Man

Talking That's better

After riding around it the mucky weather, I'm pleased to report that the mod has withstood speeds that I'm not prepared to specify and kept my shock and linkage spotless.

I still get water/muck on the swing arm but this is the liquid that is flicked up by the rear of the tyre onto the undertray which runs towards the oil tank and then drips onto it.

So all in all, one less thing to worry about.

Old 19-04-2008, 11:23 AM
aka Sevilla_Biker

Just received my Ilmberger hugger - it looks really good, but I've yet to fit it.

Did I read somewhere on here that it's possible to fit it without removing the rear wheel, or was I just dreaming??
Old 19-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Users

Hi,

There is no way you can fit it without removing the wheel - the rear one that is . There should be three new bolts with it (without the fixed washers).
Old 20-05-2008, 10:56 PM
aka Sevilla_Biker

OK, so I've renewed my subscription and downloaded the RepROM manual....what I can't find is the correct torque setting for the fixing bolts for the Ilmberger hugger - can anyone help please?
Old 21-05-2008, 07:57 AM
One screw Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen_biker
OK, so I've renewed my subscription and downloaded the RepROM manual....what I can't find is the correct torque setting for the fixing bolts for the Ilmberger hugger - can anyone help please?
I've had a quick look but I can't find them either. They probably are listed there but you need to know what the bolts are called, trouble is there doesn't appear to be a drawing showing them being removed or identifying them by name

Bob
Old 21-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered Users

I don't think you will find the torque settings as the hub is one replacement item - i.e. BMW don't expect us to be taking them apart.

The torge setting I used was "medium", there is one thing that you will always know and that is if the bolt snaps or keeps turning - then you problaly set is as "Too High"